- High School Diploma
- Accredited NFPA 1001 Level 2
- Accredited NFPA 1002 Pump Operator
- Valid Class 3(or higher) Valid Operator’s License with air brake endorsement, less than 6 demerits
- Standard First Aid, CPR-BLS/HCP.
- 2 years experience with a recognized fire service
Preference will be given to applicants that have completed NFPA 1002 Aerial Operator, NFPA 1051 Wildland Firefighter, Advanced First Aid, Emergency Medical Responder training, have a demonstrated knowledge of the Kananaskis Improvement District and have completed an accredited Defensive Driving Course.
- Obtain additional experience in the field of fire and emergency services
- Work with a progressive and innovative organization
- Work in a state of the art facility with world-class equipment
- Work in the spectacular setting of Alberta's Crown Jewel
- Provincial Wildland Urban Interface deployment opportunties
- Instructional opportunties
- Continued training and certification opportunities (as available)
- 1051 Wildland Firefighter
- 1002 Aerial
- 1006 Vehicle Rescue
- 1006 Rescue Awareness (slope rescue)
- 1041 Instructor
- Willdan Urban Interface - Member
- First Aid & CPR Recertification
- First Medical Responder Training
- Annual Interior Live Fire training
- Flammable Liquids Training
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level I & II
- NFPA 472 Awareness & Operations
- NFPA 1002 Driver
- NFPA 1002 Pumper, including pumping calculations.
Candidates will be given 2-hours to complete the multiple choice exam. Candidates are required to obtain a minimum mark of 70% to be successful. This threshold is in alignment with the academic requirements for completion of NFPA accreditation testing. Candidates looking to study for the Firefighter knowledge test can find study guide resources online and through IFSTA.
The physical assessment is comprised of an aerobic capacity and job specific task assessments. The physical assessment will be completed following the aptitude test.
Applicants can download the Candidate Physical Assessment Guide to learn more.
Candidates are required to complete and submit the Medical Self Assessment Form as part of their application to assess their suitability to participate in the physical assessment.
- Supplying attack lines using the on-board water supply to initiate initial attack flow within 2 minutes of arrival
- Establishing water supply from pressurized sources
- Transitioning from on-board supply to pressurised supply while maintaining appropriate flow and pressure
- Establishing water supply from static sources within 5 minutes
- Flowing through attack lines and master streams
- Trouble shooting for common issues
- Using rule of thumb to establish initial water supply
- Calculating accurate pump discharge pressures to maximize apparatus efficiency
- Application Intake Closes
- August 30th 2023
- Firefighter Knowledge Test & Physical Assessment
- September 1st 2023
- Interview with Kananaskis Emergency Services
- September 9th 2023
- Driving & Pumping Practical Evaluation
- September 15th 2023
- Offer and request for records (criminal records check, drivers abstract and doctors medical)
- September 18th 2023
- Orientation Boot Camp with Kananaskis Emergency Services
- September 22nd & 23rd 2023
- Begin working operational shifts
- October 2023
Application submission is now open. View the posting and further details including compensation HERE.
Documents must be submitted in PDF format and as a single file for each of the main bullets listed below:
- Cover letter and Resume
- Drivers License
- Medical Training Certification
- Certifications, include all applicable (the following are the minimum certifications that are required to be included)
- Copy of High school diploma
- Copy of accredited NFPA 1001 Level II certificate
- Copy of accredited NFPA 1002 Pumper certificate
- Copy of ICS100 certificate
- Medical Self Assessment Form
- Casual Availability Form
Completed application submissions can be submitted by email to:
Fire Chief Gary Robertson
Subject line: Casual Firefighter Application 2023 - (LASTNAME)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: AUGUST 30TH 2023 AT 16:00
This position is recruited and hired as needed. The top of this page will indicate if a posting for the position is currently open and applications are being accepted. Outside of open positing, applications for the position are not accepted.